Monday, October 28, 2013

Differences . . .


We live in the house I grew up in . . .


While we were in New Hampshire in July, we visited at least FIVE of the houses he lived in during his childhood (and that wasn’t even all of them)!

I’m a talker . . .

He is not (and he believes when my 25,000 words a day are used up, it’s time for me to QUIT talking . . . WHAT??)!

I am NOT an “animal person” . . .

His kids call him Noah (we have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 ferrets and a fish)!

I had never watched a soccer game (or a UFC fight) . . .

He coaches soccer and has played for 40+ years and loves the fights (our first date was  a pizza & watching the fights)!

I never drank coffee . . .

He starts the day with a whole pot of it!

I have 3 GIRLS . . .

He has 3 boys . . .

And, this is just a “short list” of our differences!

But God . . .

Ah, I love those “But God” situations!

But God . . .

In His wisdom, and knowledge and (yes I believe) sense of humor, God brought us to each other!

Proverbs 27:17 says, “ You use steel to sharpen steel,  and one friend sharpens another.”

We have seen the proof of that verse over and over this past year +.

I can honestly say that our differences (though many) have helped to “sharpen” us and our relationship.  We enjoy living in the house I grew up in and the familiarity that it offers, and it was fun to visit Rick’s childhood homes with his siblings and “bonus” mom this summer and hear all of their memories and stories!   Rick prayed for someone who would communicate with him, he got me (& Kajsa who can talk ALMOST as much as I do!  Watch what you pray for!), but I am learning how to be quiet (sometimes!).   Those animals are growing on me, even when the 160# dog jumps in bed with us!  I now watch soccer and have enjoyed going to the Peshtigo Bulldog games, and actually understand most of what is going on! We even went to a UFC fight in August for Rick’s Birthday and it was fun!   We start each morning with our warm mugs of coffee while chatting about our day with each other.  I have 3 girls, he has 3 boys . . . he has learned to carry the shopping bags, and I have learned that boys think WAY differently than girls!  Differences . . . many, many differences, “but God” had a plan when He brought us together.  Each day, we pray that God would make that plan evident in our lives.  Each day, we pray that we would sharpen each other.  Each day, we thank God that in His wisdom, and knowledge and sense of humor, He brought us together, for something bigger than ourselves and for something that only He knows and understands! 

We have differences, many of them.

But . . .

I love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength . . .

He loves the Lord his God with all his heart, mind, soul and strength!

I love my parents, my girls and my family with all my heart (and his family as well!) . . .

He loves his parents, his boys and his family with all his heart (and my family as well!)!

I desire to honor God in all I do, each day of my life . . .

He desires to honor God in all he does, each day of his life!

I made a COVENANT to love him for as many days as God grants me breath on this earth . . .

He made a COVENANT to love me for as many days as God grants him breath on this earth!

So, here we are, differences and all a little bit more than one year into this journey called marriage!  We’ve had some amazingly fun times and we’ve had some amazingly rough times (just keepin’ it real here!) but, we are here.  Together.  Sharpened.  Still in love.  Still seeking God’s face in all that we do.  Still often amazed at God’s sense of humor.  Thankful that God knows what He is doing, even on the days when it doesn’t make sense to us!

We have opened up a massage clinic, Corrective Bodyworks, where Rick spends his days helping others find relief from pain (which is his passion).  God in His infinite wisdom allowed me to be laid off on September 5 from my position at the hospital, we made the rental agreement on September 13 – the time off allowed me to help in getting things ready for the Grand Opening on October 1 (also our FIRST anniversary).  I was called back 2 weeks ago to a different position in the same department at the hospital (which is an entirely new post!).  I’m not sure what God has in mind right now, but I am learning to trust in Him and to lean on Him as I (not always so) patiently wait for the path to be made clear!  I’ll TRY to do better at blogging for anyone who actually reads this and wants to know what is going on!!

For now, this song says it perfectly!

I'm learning to lean, learning to lean,
Learning to lean on Jesus.
Finding more power than I'd ever dreamed,
I'm learning to lean on Jesus.


The joy I can't explain fills my heart,
Since the day I made Jesus my King;
His blessed Holy Spirit is leading my way,
He's teaching and I'm learning to lean.

I'm learning to lean, learning to lean,
Learning to lean on Jesus.
Finding more power than I'd ever dreamed,
I'm learning to lean on Jesus.



There's glorious vict'ry each day now for me,
Since I found His peace so serene;
He helps me with each task, if only I'll ask;
Ev'ry day now I'm learning to lean.

I'm learning to lean, learning to lean,
Learning to lean on Jesus.
Finding more power than I'd ever dreamed,
I'm learning to lean on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment